Sunday, January 1, 2012

Film Filter:Off - Fright Night

Film Filter: Off-  So I had mixed feelings about this movie before I watched it, as I had been waiting for months to see it.  Hoping that I didn't build it up for myself too much, I finally got the opportunity when my ridiculously cool brother bought it for me for Christmas.

Pros- Well, Colin Farrell, for one.  I had always thought he was good looking, but there's something about his role in this film that made him sexy as all hell, no pun intended.  He did a really great job playing the lustful, charming, invincible antagonist that women just can't say "no" to.  It wasn't just his good looks that accomplished that, though.  His mannerisms, the dramatic pauses he took in his dialogue, and his facial expressions all embodied the role perfectly; it got to the point where I found myself believing no one else could have played the role better, and that's a good feeling to have when you're reviewing a film.
   I also liked that the film didn't have an overtly serious tone about it.  It mixed in a good amount of humor, which helped diversify the film a bit and lighten it up considerably.  It also made a nice recipe to invite Christopher Mintz-Plasse (McLovin') into the cast for some hilarious comic relief as well.
  I thought most of the acting was well done although, with the exception of Farrell's character, most of the other character personalities were pretty watered down and straightforward.

Cons- First off, it was a bit confusing to the average, run of the mill viewer why the vampire features changed so much.  Sometimes he would maintain his human features, whereas other times his face would drastically change.  I don't claim to know enough about vampiric history to automatically know why that would happen, and I'm willing to assume most viewers would also fall into this category.  Feeding versus attacking was one theory I heard, but either way, the movie didn't really go into any detail about it, which was sometimes frustrating.
   Also frustrating was Charlie's relationship with his so-called best friend, Ed.  Apparently Charlie is sort of popular now that he's dating Amy, so his relationship with his old friend seems a little turbulent.  I understand teen drama, and that they could potentially be having a falling out, but when Ed points out that their other friend, Adam, has gone missing, Charlie seems to not really give a shit.  Even though Ed was spouting off seemingly nonsensical evidence about vampires, Charlie should have still acknowledged the fact that his friend was MIA, regardless of the circumstances.

Wrap up: This movie is very entertaining and quite funny.  Definitely worth seeing.

No comments:

Post a Comment