Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Film Filter: Off- The Order



Film Filter: Off- I have to be honest in that this is one of my better liked Theological Thrillers, but that can't dilute my ability to write a fair review.  Upon watching it more recently, there were some pieces of it that irked me slightly.

Pros- Definitely Heath Ledger.  I think he's a fantastic actor and, had his career not been cut short, would have accomplished some amazing things.
  I also think the premise of the story is quite unique.  Never in my experience with these types of movies have I heard of a Sin Eater, so it compelled me to do some research.  Apparently, there is documentation of Sin Eaters in existence- the ritual primarily being practiced in the UK in the late 19th and early 20th centuries.  The movie seemed to have exaggerated the Sin Eater's literal role in eternal salvation, but hey, that's showbiz.
  I also researched the order of the Carolingians, of which the film is based on.  Sources say that this order is purely fictional, as their purpose serves to rid the earth of demons, ghosts, and otherworldly creatures.  I can see how this group may have been deemed necessary in earlier centuries, where demonic possession and spiritual salvation were more prominent topics, but it remains to be seen whether there is truth to their existence.  Perhaps this alleged fictional topic is why few movies discuss this topic or the group, but it is an interesting concept nonetheless.
   I believe the acting in the film is well done, although I'm not a huge fan when directors choose a majority of actors that were featured together in another film (A Knight's Tale).  I also thought, given the potential false nature of the information presented, the scenarios and acting were pretty realistic: the way Mara reacts when she is being attacked, Alex's reaction to death, Thomas's struggles with speech after he is briefly hanged- just to name a few.  I believe it's important, especially when making a pseudo-fiction film, to try to maintain a believable nature to enhance the credibility, whether it be true or not.

Cons- Overall, the biggest problem with the film is the bastardization of what once was a real concept.  Sin Eaters did exist, but the film took the perspective of turning him into an almost superhero.  He is essentially immortal, and has abilities most people cannot possess, although the movie does point out that he can be killed.  Given the prospect of the ability to live for many centuries and acquire innumerable wealth and knowledge, it seems a bit of a paradox that William is the last Sin Eater.  Besides the potential consequence of eternal damnation, why aren't people coming out of the woodwork to take over?  Or why is there only one left in the first place?
  As I mentioned, I think the believability of the scenarios in the film is pretty good, which is why it irked me the very few times that it wasn't.  In a few scenes, an underground cave is revealed to be a location where people can seek information from someone who is about to die via hanging.  For whatever reason, their speaking voices are oddly altered, and not in a "you're about to have your vocal folds collapse" sort of way either.  It made them sound cool, for sure, but realistic?  Not so much.

Wrap up- Overall, this movie is thought-provoking and interesting.  I was bummed to find out that most of it was probably fake, but in a way, that gives props to the movie for getting me to jump on the bandwagon.


No comments:

Post a Comment