Saturday, December 28, 2013

Film Filter: Off - Red State

Film Filter: Off- I had passed this on Netflix many a time, so I figured I would finally sit down and watch it.  I have to say, I was surprised when I did.

Pros- This film definitely gets points for its originality.  I don't think I've ever seen, or heard of for that matter, another movie that is quite like this one.  It started out like a typical horror movie, but then went in a very different direction.
   Overall, I think the actors in the film did an admirable job, especially Michael Parks in the role of the minister.  John Goodman was a surprise in this film, and although his characterization was a little weak, he did the best he could with it.
   I think the idea of using a public religious controversy like the Westboro Baptist Church worked in this film's favor.  It's something that most audience members have likely heard of, whether or not they know a lot about it.  It definitely sheds some light on religious fanatics in a cult-like fashion, which is well received when it comes to horror films.
   One of the surprises I got out of this film was that it was directed by Kevin Smith.  After doing a little research, which I would strongly recommend if you're interested in Smith as a director, I found that this movie was not meant to be comedic, which is pretty evident when you watch it.  The description, along with Smith as director, leads you to believe otherwise, so it was an unexpected twist.  He also mentioned in an interview that there are little to no redeeming characters, which is also pretty evident when you watch the film.  This is also interesting, as it sort of breaks the mold of the traditional horror movie formula.
   The ending was pretty poignant.

Cons- I would be lying if I said that this was not a frustrating film to watch.  As previously mentioned, this movie breaks the standard formula, and as a result kills off some characters that shouldn't die, and prolongs the life of those that should.  You could argue that this is a brilliant strategy, as it lessens the predictability, but there was too much ungratified and unjustified instances of it that it turned me off.

Wrap up- I would recommend this film, based solely off its individuality.  It might not be my favorite, but it's different and eye opening.

No comments:

Post a Comment