Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Film Filter: Off - The Last Will and Testament of Rosalind Leigh

Film Filter: Off-  This movie was suggested to me and was described as haunting and creepy, so naturally I figured I'd give it a shot.

Pros-  Firstly, this movie gets mad props for its ingenuity.  I have never witnessed a film quite like it, and it's likely that none similar to its style will be hitting theaters anytime soon.  That being said, therein lies room for some interpretive confusion, but it is still very unique and deserves credit for that.
   This movie doesn't appear to have been done on any sort of large budget, so I will also give it credit for being fiscally responsible, but also effective.  It didn't feel like a "low budget" film, although it likely was, so I appreciate the utilization of resources without overdoing it financially, as most films tend to do.
   I believe one could write a thesis paper on the symbolism present in this film.  Despite its often unclear direction, it is undeniable that this film definitely has some inconspicuous representations.  Along the same vein, the cinematography is brilliantly played out in this regard, as there are many scenes where Leon physically emulates the crazy statues and artwork that decorate the house.  It is also done ever so subtly, so there very well have been more than the two instances I observed.
   I feel like the staple of a quality movie is one that makes you think, and this one sometimes seems like it does nothing but that.  Taken to an extreme degree, which this movie may have done, this idea becomes a downer for movies trying to seem "too intellectual", but it is so refreshing to see something unique and different with films that one can almost overlook it.  Almost.

Cons-  One of the things that I hate in films is undeveloped characters or unfilled plot-points.  This movie has lots of both.  Who was the woman on the phone?  Are they dating?  Were they dating?  Why did his dad die?  What is with the cult?  These are just a handful of questions I found myself asking throughout the movie's tiny 82 minute package.  Some might argue that those points are irrelevant, to which I say pish posh.  If the relationship with his psychiatrist was irrelevant, why did they allude to one deeper than patient to doctor?  Not to expand upon it is almost a crime at that point.  It doesn't take four extra scenes to close up a minor story line, so it feels like they were more overlooked than they were intentionally dismissed.  Pending your interpretation of the film, however, an intentional dismissal may actually make sense.  Confusing?  You bet.
   So let's talk about what the eff this movie is about, because I had to do some serious research before I felt comfortable writing about this film.  The ending is about as wide open as the Grand Canyon, and I struggled to come up with any explanation for why the movie was ending the way it did.  At first, like most I assume, I was kind of perturbed as we are so often spoon-fed every bit and piece of the movies we watch and anything to the contrary seems torturous.  "Really, movie?  You're going to make me THINK to figure out this ending?  Damnit."  So, what does it mean?  I don't really want to give everything away, but there are two schools of thought that most people exhibit in regards to this film.  The first is that the concept of loneliness takes a physical shape and haunts Leon, Rosalind's son, while he is fixing to sell the house after her death.  The notion is that loneliness is what killed Rosalind, or at least acted as a catalyst in her death.  The second option is one of those "this is all in your head" endings in which this is all a fabrication of the ghost of Rosalind's imagination.  This, although being quite profound, unique, and poignant, doesn't make as much sense to me, as it would seem that she could control the outcome, which the movie showcases she clearly cannot.  I'm more inclined to believe the former of the two choices.
  Not so much a huge downfall, but the fact that religion is tied into this film (again pending your interpretation) is a bit more than misleading.  The film leads you to believe with every fiber of its being that this movie has something to do with religion and faith, which in a small way I guess it does.  It seems to me, though, that upon further inspection the angelic cult hobby could have just as easily been replaced with a knitting hobby and could have carried out the same feeling.  Of course, not maybe as clearly, as the point I feel is brought up is the lack of support Rosalind gets from her son because of her hobby.  Not too many young boys are hard-core anti-knitting, I suppose.  Regardless, the trickery of the illusion of religious ties is confusing and leads you in various directions.  As previously mentioned, though, depending on your thoughts on what the film makers were trying to accomplish, this might make perfect sense.  Who knows?

Wrap up- I love the idea of a film making you think, but there has to be a happy medium between that and a choose-your-own-adventure movie.  Maybe they didn't want to spoon-feed the audience, but you can't starve us either!  Despite the conflicting feelings I have, I strongly encourage you to watch this as it really does make you think.  A lot.  For a long time.  It's probably one of those films that could be behooved by watching it twice.

No comments:

Post a Comment