Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Film Filter: Off - House at the End of the Street

Film Filter: Off- I hadn't heard much, or anything really, about this film.  After watching The Hunger Games and Silver Linings Playbook, and then making the connection that Jennifer Lawrence had done a scary movie, it was done.  I had to see it- good, bad, or indifferent.

Pros- I really like Jennifer Lawrence, and this movie certainly didn't make me feel otherwise.  I felt, unlike a lot of scary movies, she portrayed how a teen would talk and act: with lots of eye rolls and personality.  The relationship her character, Elissa, had with her mother also felt realistic, including lots of teen angst and resentment, along with some amicable, low-key scenes thrown in.  The leading male, Max Thieriot, was impossible not to fall in love with.  He was so stinking cute, but also pathetic in many ways.  It was easy to see why Elissa had a hard time keeping her hands off.
   In terms of the plot, I thought it was almost flawlessly executed.  The ability of the movie to portray Tyler and Carrie Anne as the antagonists, with Elissa and Ryan as the protagonists worked beautifully. I really don't want to give away too much of the ending on this one, so I'll keep my mouth shut, but I will say that I expected this movie to be like Silent House, or Last House on the Left, but I can assure you it goes much deeper than that.  The movie does an excellent job of letting you develop actual feelings for the characters, before they pull the rug out from underneath you.  Many times, this drastic change in environment happens much too soon, and the audience hasn't had enough time to get to know, let alone empathize with the characters.  Most of this movie doesn't even feel like a scary movie, because of its attention to personal relationships.
   The ending is great.

Cons- I didn't really have any, but if I had to pick one it would be the same pet peeve I have with all scary movies of this nature: don't go near the house where people were murdered.  It's generally not a good idea.

Wrap up- I was so pleasantly surprised with this film.  I found myself enjoying it more so than I analyzed it, which doesn't happen often enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment