Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Film Filter: Off - Slither

Film Filter: Off-  This movie had popped up on my Netflix suggested list several times, and I had disregarded it until the other day.  After looking at the cast, I'm surprised I didn't select it to view sooner.

Pros- As I just mentioned, there were more than a few members of the cast that were actually pretty well known.  As you know from several of my reviews, I really like Nathan Fillion, and he certainly did not disappoint in this film.  In all of the movies I've seen him in, he has definitely portrayed a very different type of character, but has done them all justice.  Elizabeth Banks was also a pleasant surprise to the cast, along with Michael Rooker (Merle in The Walking Dead).
   One of the things I liked the most about this movie was the comedic interruptions, which allowed the movie to feel more realistic.  They weren't even blatant comedic attempts, but the dialogue felt so realistic and sort of pessimistic, which allowed for the subtlety of the humor to be expressed.
   Although this is more or less a zombie movie, it doesn't really go about the cliche zombie movie recipe, which is nice and refreshing.  It adds a lot of new elements, and ties them all together in a nice, neat package which allows the audience to enjoy the movie without any stereotypes or distractions.
   I will say it was pretty brilliant to have one of the girls get a worm stuck part way down her throat, but was then able to pull it out.  It gave her an inside look at what the alien's existence has been, and as soon as she frees herself from its grasp she now knows enough to be helpful to the rest of the survivors.
   Lastly **SPOILER ALERT** it's assumed that as soon as the host alien is killed, the town and its infected people will resume normalcy.  Wrong.  All the infected people die, which I like.  Not saying I like death or anything like that, but it's unrealistic to become possessed by an alien worm, have it live inside your brain, and then just survive when its host dies.  I mean, it's in your brain.

Cons- One of the things I disliked about the movie was the ludicrous amount of slithery, disgusting worms and how inconsistently they attack.  They seem to sense human flesh, since they gravitate toward it constantly throughout the film, yet when there are hundreds of worms that explode from a body, and only 10 or so humans in the room, there are like 5 or 6 humans that don't get attacked.  The odds don't seem right to me on that one.
   Also, when the host alien sticks his pointy umbilical cords into you, he sucks you dry and inserts the worm disease instead.  We don't find out, though, until the end of the movie that you must have both pointy extensions inside of you to get infected.  It's just another circumstance of making something happen, and then validating it later with a statement like, "Oh by the way, that is supposed to happen."

Wrap up- This was one of those movies that definitely had me pleasantly surprised.  I laughed a lot more than I was frightened, but overall it was one of the better movies I've seen in a while, considering I prejudiced it with some pretty low expectations.

No comments:

Post a Comment